Monday, June 9, 2008

Yes, I fish in the Charles River


Yes I am a urban fisherman, and I fish in the Charles River. This must be shocking to most people, because when I fish in the Charles River I get nonstop bombardment of ridiculous questions.

The most commonly asked question is did I catch anything? This is a simple one that I don't mind answering. Most fisherman will talk openly about their 'luck', since I usually catch a lot of fish this one is easy.

Second most commonly asked question: What kind of fish are you catching. Another softball question. I mostly answer bass, and that seems to stump most people. Since the Charles River is a river and most Bostonians actually think it is salt water. And they have no idea that bass can live outside of lakes and rivers.

Next up, Are there any fish in there? This is when I start getting mad. This is a major fucking watershed of course there is fish in there. I am not standing here with a pole in my hand for nothing. Usually when I ask this I will point to a fish swimming by and ask if that looks like a fish.

And lastly, the question that sends steam out of my ears: Do you keep the fish? This drives me bonkers. I am wearing $200 sunglasses, $60 flip flops, and cut off from Abercombie and Fitch does it look need to resort back to hunter and gathering time? If I want fish I will go down to Whole Foods and buy some organically raised fish that grew up in a bubble. I would not be eating some fish that has more chemicals in it than Amy Winehouse. I'm sure the old Asian men that fish in that rive do eat the fish, but I am not a old Asian man fishing with a bamboo pole.

And one last thing this picture of the shark and boobs makes me giggle.

No comments: