Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Esquire magazines top 100 bars

So Esquire came out with a list of the best bars in America. I am pretty sure they have no idea what they are talking about. Here is my thoughts on the list of the Massachusetts bars.

Massachusetts
BAR NAMETOWNRATING
No. 9 ParkBoston64
Eastern StandardBoston75
Doyle's CafeJamaica Plain73
Charlie's KitchenCambridge75
B-Side LoungeCambridge75


First up they have No 9 Park St. Now if this bar wasn't on the list I would say its not a bad list. But seriously No 9 Park St is on the list of best bars? Any bar in which you can't wear sneakers or look out of place without a sports jacket on shouldn't be on the list. I live about 30 yards from this place and not once have I ever had a urge to go there. May be the worst pick out of all the bars on list.

Eastern Standard: I like this bar a lot. Spend a lot of time there. My only complaint is that its a bar inside of a restaurant, and the bar space isn't too big. Can get overly crowded in a hurry. Specially if the Sox's are in town. They have good selection of drinks and good bartenders.

Doyle's is pretty good. I don't get down to JP much, but every time I have been to Doyle's I have had fun. But I am not sure if it belongs on the list.

Charlies Kitchen made the list? I am surprised to see two Cambridge bars on the list. With so many bars in Boston this ones seems a shocker to me.

The B-Side is a good place to start the night. Since I work in Cambridge I hit this joint up a lot.

No comments: