Monday, May 19, 2008

Fantasy traffic stop



Urban affairs reporter

Tearful driver Patty Ryan vowed to slow down as she hugged the young woman she had just "killed" on an Oshawa street.

"Did you know you were speeding and have struck me dead?" Felicia Petric, 16, told her moments earlier. "I had many plans for this life and I can feel them all speeding away."

Ryan, who had been doing 63 km/h in a 50 zone, was one of 63 motorists lectured by high school students yesterday in an innovative approach to deterring speeders by Durham Region police. Drivers pulled over in a speed trap had a choice of getting a ticket (with a minimum $90 fine) or listening to a one-page essay by teens waiting nearby. Only one opted for a ticket.

"This is a damn good idea," said Ryan, dabbing at her eyes. "It really touched me. It can save a life."

The essays were assigned to students in the Grade 11 law class at Monsignor Paul Dwyer Secondary School, located near the high-collision intersection of Rossland Rd. W. and Stevenson Rd.

The idea was to teach safe driving principles to both drivers and students, who included statistics, consequences of bad driving and personal tales in their messages delivered at a mobile command unit.

What? So let me get this straight. You speed and you get a lecture by a Catholic school girl? Am I missing something here. This doesn't remotely sound like any type of punishment. I wouldn't be surprise if this increases speeding of men between the ages of 16-64. I wonder how many men also asked to be spanked.

No comments: