Friday, July 11, 2008

"Jaws" spotted off Martha Vineyard


This article was in the Herald today.


A
Martha’s Vineyard harbor master raised the alarming prospect of “Jaws returning” after a large shark was spotted cutting through the waves just 70 yards off South Beach yesterday.

An eagle-eyed lifeguard spotted the menacing fin off the Edgartown strand and ordered everyone out of the water yesterday morning, moments before a sightseeing plane overhead spotted the monster gliding just below the surface.

“This is a large shark,” said Edgartown Harbor Master Charles Blair. “We don’t know the species. It was a pretty big fin spotted about 70 yards from the beach. It’s close enough for me. We got like Jaws returning over here.”

Blair spent hours yesterday in a fruitless hunt for the toothsome sea beast. But it managed to elude any further sightings, including an all-out aerial hunt waged by the state, which paid a pilot to search waters off the beach for two hours after the initial sightings.

Well I told you so. I guess I am going to write about sharks everyday now for the rest of the summer. Or at least until someone comes out and says what I have been saying for months. That there are freaking big sharks out there.

I was talking to my friend Kerri yesterday who is going to the Vineyard tomorrow for a week. I mentioned to her to be careful of the sharks. I don't think she believed me. I feel like I am the modern day Chief Brody. "Everybody Out of the Water".

Unfortunately I think it will take someone getting seriously injured before people start realizing the danger. Then once it happens, just like in the movie. People are going to have negative feelings towards these fish. Instead of embracing them. They are the apex predetor on the planet and we have an opportunity to see them up close. Its similar on going on jungle safaris and seeing lions and hyenas. Maybe I should start a shark tourism business? Hmmmm....

No comments: